The Pearson Conservatory, St George's Park
  • Central Port Elizabeth

Go Back

Location

  • Longitude: 25.606081
  • Latitude: -33.965476
  • Map

Rates Disclaimer

  • Rates may vary and reduced rates may apply to additional persons. All rates are indicative only, may be seasonal and are subject to change without notice.

About The Pearson Conservatory, St George's Park

The Pearson Conservatory

This impressive conservatory with its Victorian characteristics was designed and erected by Boyd and Son of Paisley, Scotland, dismantled into sections and transported to Port Elizabeth where it was re-erected under the supervision of Mr Frazer of Boyds.

It was officially opened on 12 September 1882 by the Honourable John X Merriman, the then Commissioner of Works for the Cape Colony.

It is named after Mr HW Pearson, the Mayor of Port Elizabeth at that time.

Demolition was briefly considered in 1972, but rejected by the City Council.

Given reasonable and sustained maintenance there is no reason why this structure should not last for a long time and the present condition gives no cause for undue concern.

All of the ironwork and over 98% of the woodwork are original, whilst a goodly proportion of the glass also dates back to 1882.

More info at this website

Get Directions

© PEMBBA - 2021 | Links | List / Manage Your Business | The Pearson Conservatory, St George's Park

Website Design and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by ZAWebs Designs | Web Hosting by ZAWebs Hosting